The Stay at Nearview is a non-traditional residency open to Black creative practitioners seeking space and community. Residents will seek refuge in the three-bedroom residence house, which is located in a residential Black and Latinx neighborhood in Northeast Columbia, South Carolina, for a span of one week to four months.
The Residence is self-guided, with each resident shaping the scope and environment of their stays. Stays are open to Black creative practitioners—that is, anybody who has a creative practice, whether you’re a visual artist, documentarian, activist, dancer, journalist, or cultural worker—in need of work space. While we invite residents to engage in the cultural fabric of the neighborhood, there is no formal deliverable or project expected at the end of your time at Nearview.
The flexibility and spontaneity of our model may pose some challenges, but none we aren’t willing to explore and problem solve together! If you are a cultural caretaker who could benefit from an escape and immersion into a local community, let’s talk.
Some knowns and must-haves to be as comfortable as possible during your escape:
- Your residence is in a three-bedroom, one-bathroom home. One of those bedrooms will be unavailable.
- You will have access to one private bedroom stocked with essentials, a shared workspace with a printer, a private not-for-sale and not-for-loan library, eat-in kitchen, and common room. In addition, there is a one-third-acre chunk of land and covered outdoor space.
- A bike is on-premise for your use throughout your stay.
- Your residence is less than one mile from our house! Walk, ride, or drive over for communal meals, fire-pit time, happy hour cocktail chats, etc.
- You will be responsible for your own groceries. Nearview is just over one mile from a grocery store, and the kitchen is stocked with essentials: cooking oils and spices, teas and coffee, some libations, etc. DéLana also loves to cook for folks so let us know if you have any dietary restrictions.
- If you do not have a car or do not plan on renting a car, please let us know in your inquiry. Minimal arrangements can be made like airport pickup from CAE or shared grocery runs, but you will likely be more comfortable with access to your own transportation for the duration of the stay.
- As this is not a traditional residency and not sponsored by donations or a 501c3, we ask you to determine a value range that you can pay. The suggested minimum amount is a sliding scale of $20-$25 per night for the duration of your stay.