INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR—GRANTS WRITER
Position: Independent Contractor, Grants (2 positions)
Salary: Hourly, $25-27 / hour
Contract term: 1 year; 10 – 15 hours per week, varies
Start date: December 2020 / January 2021
About the Position
Red Olive Creative Consulting is growing its team!
Building on its years of experience in arts in culture, with particular focus on INSTITUTIONAL GIVING, we are ready to add another INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR—GRANT WRITER to our roster. We love to work with collaborative team members who are exceptional storytellers. We believe the perfect candidate may not have considered work as an arts administrator, and understand our contribution to the field could be to help folks discover the JOY that can exist in making a fundraising case through strong grantsmanship.
This position is part of a small & radical consulting team responsible for full-service Grants Management for Red Olive Creative Consulting clients. These activities include grant writing and reporting with public agencies, private foundations, and corporations.
Specifically, this position will be eventually responsible for writing proposals for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects and for submitting timely and accurate reports for existing grant-funded projects.
This is a location-independent remote position with flexibility; though some business-hour availability will be required.
- May be responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources for a client caseload which may be 1 or up to 3 clients;
- Work with Red Olive leadership to determine best strategy and approach for winning grant narratives;
- Work with Red Olive team members and client finance departments to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation/government funders on current grant programs;
- Write compelling, strong, and convincing narratives for the purposes of raising funds for clients through grant proposals and reports;
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors;
- Understanding of institutional history and programs;
- Maintain client current records, including grant tracking and reporting; and
- Collect and clean statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship
- Track record of successful grantsmanship
- Ability to be self-motivating and self-directed, required.
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive proposals
- Strong editing skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to track multiple moving pieces across departments and people, while making sure to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources
- Experience with proposal writing and institutional donor
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research
- Strong contributor in distributed team environments
- Minimum 3 years work experience
- Strong storytelling skills—liberal arts education with writing emphasis
- Exceptional handle of persuasive writing in English
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
This is a paid INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR POSITION. The selected team member can expect to spend a consistent number of hours of week, approximately 10+, though it will vary higher or lower by grant deadlines, which we cannot control.
Please send a cover letter indicating what it means to be a grant writer for arts & culture at this time, why you are the right candidate, and what you will bring to the energy of team Red Olive Creative Consulting and our clients.
Please also send a resume, three writing samples and the names / contact of 2 references to email@example.com. Please write RED OLIVE GRANTS WRITER in the Subject Line.
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until November 15, 2020 or until filled. Early and serious applicants are strongly encouraged.